Ingredients for the Carrots:
- 500 g uncooked grated or finely shredded carrots (you can also use a food processor)
- 70 g raisins soaked for at least 20 minutes with 6 tablespoons of water that will then be used
- 70 g coarsely chopped roasted peanuts
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves (keep some whole leaves to garnish when serving)
- 3 tbsp roasted sesame seeds (keep a teaspoon to garnish when serving)
Ingredients for the Dressing
- 120 g lemon or lime juice
- 1 chopped clove of garlic cloves (optional), otherwise chives
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp date or raisin paste (soak minimum 30’ dates or raisins in same weight of water, then blend together)
- 1 tsp toasted and then crushed cumin seeds
- salt to taste
- pepper to tate
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
Prepare the dressing mixing the ingredients with an immersion blender or with a manual whisk.
Add dressing to carrots and raisins and mix to incorporate well.
Keep in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, add the sesame seeds
and peanuts just before serving. Garnish with some coriander leaves and the sesame seeds you have kept aside.
Optional: for this salad to be a little less “raw” you might want to steam the grated carrots for only 3 minutes, then immediately cool them down with iced water to preserve the color and avoid overcooking with the inner heat.
This salad arrives directly from the far east, it’s rich in spices and herbs, fresh and delicious, must try it and you wont be deceived!